This is a big challenge for me. I spend A LOT of time on my phone. I read kindle books, listen to audio books, check email (and ALL the social) and just generally dick around.
It’s a problem for my capacity to focus, for my ability to connect, for my wellness.
There are some great strategies that help with this –
- Change your screen to B&W (amazing effective! I have a shortcut so if I need to I can switch back fast.)
- Download an app that will lock your phone. I like Flora. You link a credit card, choose the amount of time (from 15 mins to 2 hours), and add dollars. If you use your phone before time is up: financial penalty. It’s pretty motivating! I usually choose $10. It’s enough to motivate me, without being awful if there is a reason I need to use my phone (you can allocate up to $100). For a small fee you can also plant real trees by doing this 💚
- Download a tracker that tells you how many hours a week you are on your phone. Calculate this as a percentage of your life (weekly) and decide, is this how you want to use your precious time?
You know, the thing about a practice is that… well… it is a PRACTICE. That means that you may not be great at it to start. And that you may not even enjoy it initially.
My invitation to you for this coming month is to explore:
- How does it feel to do this practice?
- What specifically do I feel? Am I bored? Annoyed? Grateful? Joyful? Angry? Happy?
- Where specifically do I feel that in my body?
- What comes up for me when I do this practice?
- How is my relationship changing as a result of this practice?
I love hearing your messages & feedback as you are implementing – let me know how you go!