WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP COACHING?
The relationship coaching methods I use include the following powerful techniques:
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Instant Insight Communication Systems™
- The Client Code™
- DISC Behavioural Profiling
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming
These techniques, coupled with my own experiences and inspired by the work of Alice Haemmerle, Michaela Boehm, Steve James, and Esther Perel, will give you tangible tools to transform your relationship.
Relationship Coaching will guide you to become clear about your goals & dreams, both individually and as a couple. While past history is addressed, the focus is on moving into the future with the skills & resources you need to stop repeating old patterns.
HOW IS RELATIONSHIP COACHING DIFFERENT TO MARRIAGE COUNSELLING?
Relationship coaching shares many of the same tools & techniques that are used in traditional counselling or marriage therapy.
The key difference is the training of each practitioner, the school of therapy that informs their approach, and the requirements of professional bodies for registration and supervision. In Australia, coaching does not have a regulating body, nor requirements for registration or supervision.
Having said that, my commitment to professionalism and high standards means that I continually participate in ongoing education, and seek out supervision and mentoring from professionals in this space.
WHAT KINDS OF PROBLEMS DO YOU SOLVE?
Here are some of the common problems and issues I help my clients solve:
- Lack of Communication
- Lack of Intimacy
- Want Passionate Sex-life
- Feeling Stuck
- Unmet Emotional Needs
- Unmet Physical Needs
- Unmet Mental Needs
- Unmet Spiritual Needs
- Groundhog Day
- Loss of Libido
- Mismatched Libido
- Feeling Unloved
- Feeling Unappreciated
- Lack of Communication
- Lack of Intimacy
- Want Passionate Sex-life
- How to Reset After a Fight
- Problems with Exes
- Problems with In-laws
- Parenting Challenges
- Can't Win
- Walking on Eggshells
- Blended Family Issues
- Lack of Responsibility
- Unbalanced Domestic Duties
- Strategies for Conflict Resolution
- Prolonged Stress (illness, IVF, mental health, work-related, financial)
- Financial Disagreements
- Recovering from Trauma (Death, Miscarriage, Abortion, Redundancy, Loss of Job)
- Strategies for the Future
- Creating Legacy
- Challenges with Working Together
- Owning a Business
- Feel Taken for Granted
- Division of Property / Parental Care
- Newly Weds
- Keep Dating the Wrong People
- Looking for Love
HOW LONG IS A PROGRAM?
I only have one package that I offer, which is 3 months and includes 6 sessions plus online resources and email support.
This package has a combination of both couple, and individual sessions. A typical program looks like this. There is plenty of flexibility in terms of time for delivery to account for the usual logistics challenges of life!
There are a few reasons I do it this way;
- Working with clients in a session-to-session way sets you up for failure from the beginning. It reframes your experience as an expectation that a session will "fix something", and then if it doesn't, that "it didn't work. Working with a coach is similar to working with a personal trainer; you learn technique, get feedback, and are guided during sessions, but it is the consistent application of those techniques BETWEEN sessions that brings results.
- Three months requires you to frame your expectations that change takes time. It frees you from making relationship decisions day-to-day, and provides you with a framework to implement tools and calibrate the effect, with ongoing coaching & support.
- I don't vibe with sales fuckery. I spend a lot of time reading and learning about influence, decision making, and human behaviour. The more we understand about HOW we engage with the world, the more clarity we have about the CHOICES we make. It is impossible to not employ tactics of influence. We ALL do it on the daily. However, I choose to not implement tools like "the three package choice" or whatever other pricing & sales techniques I know. Just one package, based on what I believe is the minimum block that you need to get relationship results.
HOW MUCH IS A PROGRAM?
A 3 month program is $375 per month, for 3 months. So, $1125.
You can pay that however your pay cycle rolls (weekly, fortnightly, monthly).
That works out to be around one session per fortnight, but there is lots of flexibility for the inevitabilities of life! You are welcome to take your sessions closer together by paying the full amount of $1125 upfront.
Again, see above re: sales fuckery.
WHY DO YOU HATE SALES FUCKERY?
- Because noone should ever be shamed, tricked, bullied, manipulated, or coerced into believing you need fixing, and that buying something will fix you.
- Because NO program will ever be the answer to you finding happiness, nor the answer to your yearning.
Because I no longer want to contribute to the noise.
I'm actively working to communicate in a way that strikes a balance between generosity in education, gentle reminders, and supportive enquiry. I'm actively working to rewrite all my shit and take out the push, the nudge, the sell. It's hard (because capitalism) and also because that balance is different for each of you.
I’m inviting you now to help me to get that right, by replying to give me thoughtful feedback.
PS - I am well aware of the irony of this whole thing. It haunts me at night. Fuck.
DO YOU DO ONLINE CONSULTS?
Online consults are a life-saver for couples & individual clients. No need to travel, find baby sitters, or juggle busy calendars. I use Google Meet.
For my interstate clients, please be sure to select the right timezone when you book your sessions!
ARE YOU LOCATED IN THE NEWCASTLE, LAKE MACQUARIE, AND HUNTER VALLEY?
I see clients face-to-face from my office in Toronto in the beautiful Lake Macquarie region, on the land of the Awabakal people.
Parking is easy, and we have a beautiful and private space that overlooks bush land to hold our sessions.
I acknowledge that this land on which I live & work belongs to the Aboriginal people known as the Awabakal. Sovereignty has never been ceded, they are the custodians of this land. I pay my deep respects to Elders past and present, and future.
WHO DO YOU WORK WITH?
For individuals who currently in a relationship & for those looking for love.
LGBTQ & POLY
For those who may find that traditional approaches don't support their identities and/or lifestyle.
For couples who are ready to solve their shit.
Tara was able to provide us with some really usefully and tangible tools and info to work with. The outcomes for us were that we were able to really highlight the things that are important to us and put into perspective the trivial things.
Another point that was extremely useful was the different ways that we receive information and the way that we feel appreciated and loved which can be very different for each of us. I would recommend her services for couples at various times in there relationship especially for those that may have lost their way.
Steve Haran & Chris Mostyn*